Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Book To Remember



Perhaps, only a few people and only those people who are close to me notice that I actually have this weird habit of borrowing books from my friends; and after finishing a book (and returning it, of course), if I liked it, that’s the only time I’ll be rushing at the nearest bookstore to grab my own copy. Maybe you’re wondering why I have to borrow first – it is because I don’t want to waste my bucks for a book that will just get rotten in my shelf. And maybe, again, you’re wondering why I still have to buy it when I have read it already – it is because I believe in the cliché that “you should always look again at your window because you’ll always find something new. You missed it once, you will miss it again.”


I’ve just finished reading this book by Nicholas Sparks – “A Walk To Remember” for the nth time around (I figured out, I’ve actually read it for almost a dozen times already). And it is ridiculous, but I have to admit that I still sob in tears like (as if) I’m still oblivious with the whole story – yeah, I’m the most pathetic person ever walked on earth.


I don’t know why I love this story so much. Perhaps it is because of the fact that I could actually relate myself to the character of Jamie Sullivan. I mean, like her, I also have this habit of bringing along with me my bible anywhere, and I mean – everywhere, even just going to the nearby grocery store or at the mall. I cannot recall how did I actually get that habit, but as far as I can remember, I’ve been doing it since I was in my 6th grade. And of course, I was still oblivious about Jamie Sullivan then, and the matter of fact that Nicholas Sparks haven’t started writing the novel yet, either. Another thing, Jamie was actually a cheerful person in public but privately burst her tears alone. Just like her, I’m also the same. Sometimes, I would spend hours inside the comfort room like I’ve been peeing for almost a couple of hours, but then, I’m actually crying. And of course, that association of those damsels – NBSB (if you know what that means), well, not until Landon came in to her life of course, she was a member then, but I’m still until now. But I don’t want to talk about that any further.


But I’m not really exactly a Jamie copycat, though. I’ve got loads of friends unlike her. And I’m not a minister’s daughter… my father is an accountant business man, by the way.


But I guess, the truth why I love the story is because it is a tragedy. I love tragedies. I love them because they are the closest to reality. Sure tragedies are also fictions like those fairytales with "ever afters". But fairytales leave you with elusive disillusionments and hallucinations far, so far from reality. But tragedies, though, are fictions, they are almost real. I mean real in the sense of emotion and perspectives in life – closest to reality, that’s it.


Actually, the book is different from the movie, though I love both – but I’m not a fan of Mandy, though.

Except for some main highlights of the story like the play, and the leukemia, the flow of the two stories (the book and the movie) is so far different from each other. But nonetheless, they are both tragic stories, and I can’t help myself but shed so much tears over and over again. But I love it, though.


Tragedies – are the closest to reality.

Definitely a story to remember.