Thursday, June 15, 2006

Pyramids And Fatimas

I don't know why I got in here, but I believe that its because it is my personal legend. It is my obligation to be here. Am breathing the air of honor to myself because I know and proved to myself that I made the right choice.
When I was young, the ambition of becoming a doctor was burried within my mind though I never really knew what it is. It just sounds nice and honorable but I was clueless of what it is like to become one.
But I grew up with a different passion, the passion for writing. I didn't notice it before. I started writing at a very young age. I've got some few hilarious compositions at the age of four, but I dumped it way back long ago because I found it silly.
I grew up pouring all my emotions through pens and papers... the next thing I know, it was time for me to go to college.
I had a hard time back then, 5 years ago, I was still a senior highschool. I wanted to become a journalist then, because I was so in love with my passion. But I weighed things as to how they are supposed to be.
I took the degree of B.S. Medical Technology as my pre-medical course, turning my back to my passion, though, I still continue writing.
Now am about to share the difference between one's personal legend and one's passion. If you have read the book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, there's this boy named Santiago, who's personal legend was to go to the pyramids. On his way there, he met a lot of people, but the most striking was the girl named Fatima, the girl he had fallen in love with. It was a crucial choice for him whether he would still continue his journey to the pyramids or stay there at the oasis and live the rest of his life with Fatima. It was love, it was real, but he chose to leave Fatima and continue the journey upon realizing (with the help of the alchemist) that Fatima will never be gone, that he can always go back to Fatima but the way to the pyramids is just once.
Like Santiago, I was at my crucial time back then. I have to choose between my "pyramids" (my becoming a doctor) or my "Fatima" (my passion for writing). I realized back then, that, my passion is something that is within me already and it will never be gone, I could always go back to it, but becoming a doctor is a must to pursue. I also fell in love with my "Fatima", with my own passion, so as to say, but my "pyramid" is a different thing. And now am glad, I made it here.
My journey is still long, the board exam is up ahead and taking another course for my medicine proper is another story I have to write, still, on my way on this journey of my life.
Truly, "To find one's personal legend is man's obligation".