Sunday, April 10, 2022

To Write You a Love Song, For One Last Time

Could I write you a love song

For one last time?

Pour my heart and soul in it,

Like it is really the last time.

Pour all my love in it,

So I could unlove you.

Pour all my pain in it,

So I would no longer hurt.

Pour all my tears in it,

So it will run dry.


I will drink with your glass

So fragile but beautiful.

But I will not pour beers and vodka,

I know much better than that.

I'll be drunk with coffee

And music, and memories.

While drowning with the new waves

Of brokenness.


And I will remember how strange

My reality and my faith.

I will remember how I asked God to spell Love

And He gave me your name.


Now I asked again why I am in pain.

But He just said,

He taught you how to love,

But that doesn't mean he will love you back.


And maybe it was just my mind

Playing tricks to deceive my heart.

But just to remember what it was like...

I write you this love song...

For the last time.