Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Hello Stranger

Since I've been addicted to solitude these past years, now I'm trying to study social behaviors. Out of boredom, of course.
And in this line of study, I've watched strange people, met stranger people, and even talked to the strangest people.

So one day, while I'm in a cafe reading another book, a guy approached me and asked if he could share with my table since the place was indeed packed with coeds chatting with books opened, but I doubt if they really read those books for the fact that they were all busy gossiping instead of reading.
For a while he let me read my book, until, maybe he cannot contain it anymore, so he started a friendly conversation about the book I'm reading.
For a moment I was glad he was familiar with the book, until he asked me the question - "...if you could press the time button, and go back, and could change something from the past, a past mistake maybe, would you do it?".

I smiled and said - "I've answered that question so many times in my life and my answer has always been the same - NO! I wouldn't press it. Why? Because I don't want to change a thing."

He smirked with a bit of sarcasm and arrogance I think, and said - "So you don't have regrets in life?"

I answered -"Nah! I don't have regrets."

Then he said with a bit of triumphant laugh - "Maturity comes with regrets in life."

So my eyebrows raised and words came rushing inside my mind and I told myself - "I should have warned this guy that I'm probably the most opinionated girl he has ever met", but the warning did not come, instead, the words came right off bat and I started to give him a two hour sermon about life.

I said (***these were not the actual words but its the thought of what I've said) - "I believe that maturity does NOT come with regrets in life, how can you say that you're matured enough if you cannot even handle your past mistakes, if you keep on ranting and whining about those mistakes that's haunting you. I believe that MATURITY COMES WITH INNER PEACE. MATURITY COMES WHEN YOU ARE AT PEACE WITH YOURSELF. WHEN YOU CAN EMBRACE YOUR OWN IMPERFECTIONS WITH FULL ACCEPTANCE OF WHO AND WHAT YOU ARE. WHEN YOU CAN GRACEFULLY HANDLE THE SITUATION GIVEN TO YOU ABOUT YOUR PAST MISTAKES AND WRONG DECISIONS. MATURITY COMES WHEN YOU HAD FINALLY FORGIVE YOURSELF FROM YOUR PAST MISTAKES AND YOU'RE NOT AFRAID TO MAKE ANOTHER MISTAKE IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT SOMEHOW YOU'LL LEARN FROM IT AND GIVEN THAT YOUR JUDGEMENTS ARE MUCH ACCURATE NOW, IT WOULD BE MOST PROBABLY BE RIGHT.
MATURITY COMES WITH INNER PEACE."

For a moment there was a deep silence. Then I smiled triumphantly and with boiling sarcasm I said - "So how's that for a life lesson coming from an opinionated immature lady with no regrets in life, huh?!!!"

Then I walked away without looking back and not even bothered that I did not get his name.

The End.