Sunday, September 11, 2016

Your Life is A Playlist


A friend of mine tagged me on a post regarding what album made a lasting impression on you. The artist and the album that greatly influenced you and cultivated the person you are today. But only 1 album per artist.
So it's kinda' hard since most of my favorite artists got a lot of great albums as well.
So here's my lists and the reason why they're on it.

1.The Beatles : Rubber Soul

At the early age of four I was already a fan of the Beatles. My dad would usually play their songs every morning before he goes to work, and I would just sit on our couch and listen to it and get mesmerized on how good they were. John Lennon was my greatest music hero. The first time I heard their song "Fool on a Hill", I was so stunned of how deep the song was and I was inspired to write my first song at the age of four (and yes nobody knows about it, not until now). I started playing the guitar by the age of 9 because of the Beatles. The first song I've learned to play with my guitar was "Let It Be". Everything about music in my life started with the Beatles. From writing songs to playing the guitar, to my views in life and how to live it... I guess I've said enough of the Beatles. So they deserve to be on top of my list.

2. John Denver: Greatest Hits
3. Bread: Greatest Hits

I was a country music lover until "teenage angst brigade" started to hit me. The reason why I dumped playing the piano and started with guitar. Oh! yes, I remember how I begged my dad to buy me a guitar when I was in 4th grade and trying my best to reason out why I can't play the piano. It's just not my thing. And when I finally got my guitar on my 9th birthday, I think that was the coolest thing that I've got from my dad. I can't thank him enough for supporting my passion.

4. The Eagles : Greatest Hits

By the time I got so mesmerized by the intro of "Hotel California", I can already guess the chords of songs by just listening to it. The Eagles, for me, is a transition from my love to country music to finally falling to rock genre.

5. Matchbox 20 : Mad Season
6. Greenday : Nimrod

Highschool years was when alternative / rock music was budding every where. The genre of my generation. Though pop music was also popular back then and boybands were also topping the music charts, that "teenage angst" as what I call it, started kicking in and my rebel side was diverting my attention from my studies to my one-man band. I would cut classes and hang out somewhere to play music. Yes, my rebel side.

7. Linkin Park : Hybrid Theory

"Just one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break" the anthem of my senior year.
Senior year. Everybody was busy applying for college while I was still undecided of what to do. I no longer wanted to go to college at that time. All I wanted to be was to become a rock star. But I don't know where to start and my dad was already mad at me for not taking my college applications seriously. "But in the end it doesn't even matter". I was forced to enter in to pre-Med school.

8. Coldplay :A Rush of Blood to the Head

"Truth hurts" is the phrase to describe their music. That melancholic sound and deep lyrics that soothes your mood. College then, was turning into a nightmare and music was the sole shadow that comforts me. Dark but comforting enough to know that you are not alone even though you are really alone.


9. Jars of Clay : Much Afraid
10. Switchfoot : The Beautiful Let Down
For my ups and downs, their songs are my safe haven. Like a salvation or a redeeming songs from all of my mistakes. Dark and enlightening all at the same time.